Saturday, August 16, 2008

Elpiji!!!



Okay, while most people will install a mod and call it a day, I'm the type of person who will install it... fiddle with it... break it or find some niggling problem... work on it... and fiddle some more until I get it right. In this case, LPG. Now, while most people would be happy to have their car running on LPG, I can't stand the fact that you lose a significant amount of horsepower with LPG.

So, thanks to Ferman Lao at Speedlab, the Lynx has not only been installed with a Sequential Gas Injection kit... it's been tuned to make nearly exactly the same horsepower on LPG as it does on gasoline.

Now most FS-DE owners (Ford Lynx and Mazda Familia/Protege alike) would be happy with 144 whp... but I was hoping for a bit more... still, I make more power than the other non-turbo guys in the club... on a fuel that makes 10% less power as standard. I'm tickled. But if anyone mentions the 240 whp that the turbo guy who just finished at Speedlab is making, I'll kick them in the nuts.

Of course... as with all things I do with the car, this has had its problems... turns out my ECU and O2 sensors are having a hard time adapting to having the car in two different states of tune, especially since they're already strained to the limit in adapting to the big camshafts stuck in the motor.

See... big camshafts with big overlap make for poor airflow at idle... which means a lumpy idle. And once the idle is lumpy, the air going past the O2 sensor is too slow to register... which makes the computer reluctant to give the engine any more gas. This is even worse with LPG, which reads slightly differently on the O2 sensor, especially since we tuned it slightly rich for more power. So the car doesn't idle. Not on LPG, not on gasoline... nothing.

Complicated problem... simple solution. We unplug the O2 sensor and everything's back to normal. I can finally drive my precious baby. Now all we have to do is fine-tune those LPG maps and see if it can't hit 150 whp.

I can dream, can't I?

No comments: