Thursday, June 10, 2010

Chevrolet Captiva: Who needs Sat-Nav?


Yeah, like you're actually going to do that while taking the kids to school.

Going by what automakers lend us as test units, you'd think that all people are interested in nowadays are SUVs or crossovers. In a country characterized by seasonal typhoons, flash floods, man-eating potholes and cheap diesel, there's probably a good reason for that. But for me and my three and a half person household (I count as two, my daughter counts as half), there's such a thing as too much space.

Of course, I'm not going to complain about shoulder room here. No, that's a topic for another time. But driving with a SatNav-equipped Chevrolet Captiva for a week has got me thinking:

Who needs SatNav?



Granted, it's convenient if you're going someplace you don't know. But how often do you do that? Five to six days a week, we're driving to the same old places. Once a week, we'll go out and do something fun. Probably at the mall, which you can see from kilometers away... maybe leagues away at night when the neon goes on.

Maybe once a month, or, when financially constrained, once every few months, we'll go out on vacation. At that point, SatNav might be useful.

So would a map.

Besides, getting lost is half the fun, isn't it? I've found the neatest restaurants, the most curious little shops... the most interesting backyard museums, exhibits, yard sales, whatever... just by getting lost.

In the meantime, on my daily commute, I will be driving on the exact same roads I always drive, even though the SatNav wants me to get off the highway several kilometers too early (despite being told to prioritize highway routes). And I will end up at the exact same places, even if the SatNav keeps telling me my office is in the middle of a cemetery, for some reason.

Oh well.

Aside from these small niggles, the Captiva was a nice, if utterly inoffensive car. Not my cup of tea. I like my cars obnoxiously loud, stiff and rudely powerful.

No comments: